So I was talking to a dear friend of mine about spirituality and what that word means to me. It can mean so many different things to so many different people which I why I dig it so much. To me, it is choosing to believe a Higher Power (or God, Universe, Love, Light, Spirit, Source...anything that is not yourself or another person) choosing to trust in that Higher Power and doing whatever it takes to stay connected to it. It means clearing away whatever is blocking you from that Power Source. It can change day to day. I read something so simple the other morning about reaching toward goodness. I think that is a great way of looking at spirituality, is reaching for goodness, whatever that is to you. I think that God can be found in so many different places and I love choosing to reach for God (or "good") in all things.
So what do I do to stay connected to this Higher Power? It is actually quite simple and super fun
- I pray and meditate everyday whether it is a brief prayer on my way to work and and simple "Thank you" before I go to bed
- I sweat as much as possible during the week through working out at bootcamps, sweaty Vinyasa yoga and Barre classes. Exercise is essential for me staying connected to this Source
- I hang out with amazing people that bring out the best in me, people that inspire me and make me laugh
- I try and be of service as much as I possibly can each day...some days are better than others
- I dance with my adorable dogs in the kitchen or on mountains with music that makes me feel real good
- I seek out amazing spiritual teachers in the form of friends, yoga teachers, authors, animals, artists and musicians. If someone has what I want, I do what they do. My main Teacher is Gabrielle Bernstein who has been a guiding force for the last four years. Check her out here.
- I listen to soothing music with candles at night before I go to bed and say "Thanks, God"
These are just some of the things that work for me, I am sure I will write more about what helps me stay connected as it is one of my favorite things to talk about. With that I am off to sleepy time. Goodnight Sol Chasers!